5 Steps to Raise your Visibility
I often hear women complain about their lack of visibility. They are not heard in meetings, not seen during a networking event, not noticed by their colleagues, their boss, worse, not acknowledged for their contributions, not given any credit, nor promotion.
Here are five steps to raise your visibility
- Reveal Your True Colors
- Don’t Think Twice, Be Bold and Show Up!
- Create Your Own Tribe
- Find a Sponsor
- Do the Work and be Persistent
- Reveal Your True Colors.Lead from within. Develop your confidence. Build on your strengths. Ask for feedback and get it! Take off your nice girl hat and be feisty, raw, wild and crazy! Communicate clearly on what you do, where you want to go, who you are. Get yourself a personal career coach and several mentors. invest in yourself so that you are very clear on what value you can add to the company, to your clients. Only then, when you have a clear sense of who you are and what you want, can you get it!Ask yourself, “What makes me unique? What value do I bring? What problem do I solve? You don’t have to wear red stilettos… (no, Roxanne, you don’t have to put on the red light…)Story Just like in The Red Shoes, an ancient fairy tale revisited by Clarissa Pinkola Estès. She shows us that there is a way to construct a life that is uniquely our own; a life made by hand. “In our culture, we may travel life’s path in one of two ways: 1) in handmade shoes, crafted with love and care according to the unique needs of the individual soul; or 2) in Red Shoes, which promise instant fulfillment, but ultimately lead to a painful, hollow-split existence.” Wow…powerful…just think about it for a minute…
- Don’t Think Twice, Be Bold and Show Up! If it seems pretty obvious to you, just think of the numbers of opportunities you missed because you just were not there! Strategic meetings, networking events, conferences where attending is strategic for your business and your job expertise. Or maybe you were there physically, but not really 100% present. Show up, develop a real presence, here and now. Raise your hands in a meeting as Sheryl Sandberg, CoCEO of FaceBook reminds us, “speak up and keep this hand up!” Push the door open and step in!
- Create your own tribe become the VIP member of your very special club! Another possibility is that you were not invited…You are not on that “special short list” of “50 most talented”, “top 10 experts”, best CEOs/managers/consultants/bloggers in the world? Stop waiting to be invited to come inside. Stop staring with envy and angst at the shop windows, the corporate glass walls, the places where decision are made, projects are created, ideas are given life, blood and flesh to. Make a list of the top influencers in your company or top players in your field. Get in touch with them and play with them! But remember, before, you need to have prepared what you have to offer that makes you unique.
- Find a sponsor, better, be noticed by one and become remarkable! In How Sponsorship Can Help Senior Women Break the Marzipan Ceiling (I love this image, just picture yourself caught in a thick pink marzipan office space, just like Hansel and Gretel…), a great article from The Glass Hammer, you will find out how to get your own sponsor. Be strategic. Be intentional about sponsorship early in your career. It really does enhance the climb. Mentors can be a pathway to sponsorship. Connect.“Sponsors get you the key stretch assignments that allow you to shine.” Sylvia Ann Hewlett, Founding President and Chairman of the Center for Worklife PolicyBuilding strong relationships with individuals above you, as well as your peers, can help make potential sponsors aware of you and provide an entryway into networks of power.Kerrie Peraino, Chief Diversity Officer of Amex.(Note to myself: you cannot buy yourself a sponsor in a shoe shop.)
- Do the Work, have Faith in YOU and Be Persistent. It won’t happen overnight. Visibility builds up with time, trust and confidence, one step at a time. Don’t give up if you feel you’re not moving fast enough. Don’t give up if you ever fall or miss one step. Embrace failure and learn from it. Be kind with yourself. Keep showing up, taking risks and explore the edges of your comfort zone. Things will eventually come together for you.
"And I’ll see your true colors
I see your true colors
and that’s why I love you
so don’t be afraid to let them show
your true colors
true colors are beautiful
like a rainbow”.
It’s a Small Change To Your Job (developing a strong confidence), That Makes A Big Change To Your Life!
Be A Leadership Braver, Now!
I’d love to hear how you’ve developed your visibility, what steps you took, how long did it take you, what obstacles you found on the road, what sort of help did you get too? Share the stories of your successes and your failures , true heroes and heroines’ journeys…
Found that interesting?
Learn more about our services
Make your dreams a reality with a professional evaluation of your career to date.
The evidence is in. More women in your company can deliver 35% greater financial returns. (Catalyst)
Dates for the Diary
23rd April 2019 at 1800 Podcast with Virgina Franco Executive Storyteller, Resume & LinkedIn Writer
25th April 2019 at 1800 EVE Programme, an initiative of Danone. Twitter Chat “Harnessing Positive Psychology for a Smarter Leadership"
Download and listen free podcasts
How to Create an Effective USP What is a USP? Our Unique Selling Point or UVP (Unique Value Proposition) is our key core message about where...read more
How to Rethink the Modern Workplace for Gender Equality New research shows that diversity and inclusion is a top priority for leaders. So why...read more
Menopause in the workplace In this podcast with Nicki Williams award winning author, keynote speaker and Founder of Happy Hormones for Life,...read more
How to Cultivate Empathy in the Workplace Nancy Milton, international business communications expert, keynote speaker and author, share some vital...read more
Taking Care of your COW Tanvi Guatam, international Personal Branding expert says there is a misconception out there that a personal brand is...read more
The importance of Hard Talk Dawn Metcalfe, author of Managing the Matrix and Hard Talk, shares with us tips to achieve the lasting communication...read more
When Does Female Rivalry Turn into Sabotage There’s a lot of stuff written on social media about female rivalry and competition between women. Some...read more
Goal setting tips to boost your career The happiest people are those that really love their jobs. Those that don’t, dread Sunday nights and...read more
Sexism: How to stage a Bystander Intervention in the Workplace In this power coaching podcast, we're going to tackle one of the questions...read more
How to Get Noticed by Head Hunters & Recruiters In this power coaching podcast, we're going to tackle one of the questions asked multiple...read more
If we rename soft skills as essential skills, will people finally give them the recognition they deserve?read more
Read how one senior manager made 5 fails at mindful communication and what she could have done differentlyread more
Men, you have the power and you need to learn how to be a good male ally to women. Being understanding of the cause is no longer enough.read more