Sleep better so you can work better
Why we need to sleep better
Sleep impacts every part of our lives, from our performance at work to our long-term health and mental well-being. Sleep is integral to your health and a few small changes to your everyday life can make big improvements. Once you start getting more restorative sleep you will be amazed at how fabulous you feel, you will have increased focus and work better - you will be able to work smarter not harder! Learning what helps you sleep better is critical.
Why sleep is so important:
• Some of our body’s most important hormones including those that regulate appetite are produced in our sleep. [Tweet "Long-term lack of sleep can be a big factor in weight loss resistance."]
• Studies have shown that sleep-deprived drivers are as incapacitated as drunk drivers.
• Sleep deprivation makes us more depressed, speeds up the aging process, impairs our attention span, memory, and every other important cognitive process.
What happens while we sleep?
How much sleep do you need?
The number of hours of sleep we need is between 7 and 9 hours. However, if you are groggy and relying on caffeine to get you through the day, then it is likely that you need more sleep than that.
What happens if you don’t get enough sleep?
7 Tips for Better Sleep:
5. Skip the alcohol: Alcohol may feel like a sedative as it slows down brain function, leaving you with a feeling of being relaxed and worry-free. But, as it is metabolized, but the liver is acts as a stimulant in our bodies. This is what wakes us up in the early hours of the morning and affects the quality of our sleep.
6. Magnesium: Magnesium is the relaxation mineral and is crucial for sleep. At night we need magnesium to move into our cells for relaxation and great quality sleep. If we are dehydrated, or stressed then the correct exchanges do not take place and we can end up with trouble going to sleep, or with broken and interrupted sleep and can actually feel worse when we wake up.
7. Clear your mind: journal or use a gratitude dairy - write down anything that is on your mind as well as what you are grateful for, this allows your mind to relax instead of racing and trying to remember things for the next day . You could also try a guided meditation - there are many available.
If you want to find out where your are in your career take our Career Assessment NOW
Found that interesting?
Learn more about our services
Make your dreams a reality with a professional evaluation of your career to date.
The evidence is in. More women in your company can deliver 35% greater financial returns. (Catalyst)
Dates for the Diary
We have Remote Learning Programs available
Check out our exciting portfolio of offerings to support your business in upskilling and competence building for your teams, to address the unprecedented challenges that women face in this new totally a digital world.
Download and listen free podcasts
How to Create an Effective USP What is a USP? Our Unique Selling Point or UVP (Unique Value Proposition) is our key core message about where...read more
How to Rethink the Modern Workplace for Gender Equality New research shows that diversity and inclusion is a top priority for leaders. So why...read more
Menopause in the workplace In this podcast with Nicki Williams award winning author, keynote speaker and Founder of Happy Hormones for Life,...read more
How to Cultivate Empathy in the Workplace Nancy Milton, international business communications expert, keynote speaker and author, share some vital...read more
Taking Care of your COW Tanvi Guatam, international Personal Branding expert says there is a misconception out there that a personal brand is...read more
The importance of Hard Talk Dawn Metcalfe, author of Managing the Matrix and Hard Talk, shares with us tips to achieve the lasting communication...read more
When Does Female Rivalry Turn into Sabotage There’s a lot of stuff written on social media about female rivalry and competition between women. Some...read more
Goal setting tips to boost your career The happiest people are those that really love their jobs. Those that don’t, dread Sunday nights and...read more
How to Get Noticed by Head Hunters & Recruiters In this power coaching podcast, we're going to tackle one of the questions asked multiple...read more
Giving and receiving feedback is an essential component at every level of team interaction and leadership. Very often we read a lot about giving feedback correctly, but not how to receive it. It’s hard when someone criticizes our work, not to get defensive.read more
Even the most seasoned of speakers get nervous before making a presentation. Here are 8 tips to conquer those presentation nerves.read more
Dr. Tanvi Gautam is an award winning diversity and inclusion specialist and HR thought leader splitting her time between Asia and the US. Read her words and thoughts of wisdom in this 3Plus Women Who Inspire series.read more