10 basic job seeker tips to revisit
Don't forget these basic job seeker tips
As organisations become leaner and agile and an increasing number of professional roles are being outsourced to freelancers via the gig economy. Many are complaining that the number of open jobs seem to be at an all time low. Factor in that the recruitment process itself is imbued with deeply embedded unconscious gender bias, it’s not surprising that more and more women are saying that they are struggling to get full time jobs. So now could be a good time to [Tweet "revisit some basic job seeker tips to make sure that your strategy is firmly anchored."]
Many job seekers apply the "spray and pray" method of looking for a job which is doomed to fail.
Here are 10 basic job seeker tips to revisit
- Do your inner work and be thoughtful about you values and vision. [Tweet "Make sure you put a price tag on those ambitions. It will indicate a salary range."] Download Career Reflections.
- Identify your transferable skills with a good balance of hard and soft skills. Note that hard skills are searchable terms.
- Create your success stories using the Be FABulous formula. Be sure to include metrics. Read: If you can't measure it don't mention it. You should have a success story for every skill you have noted.
- Create a powerful CV with a compelling story and strategically embedded key words. Most CVs are retrieved using software before they are even seen by a human eye. Pack the punch at the top. There is much variation of opinion of the best length for a CV. Try and keep it to two pages unless you are a senior scientist with patents and publications. Recruiters don't read them unless you are very senior or specialised.
- Create a strong online professional profile on LinkedIn. Download: LinkedIn in 10 minutes a day
- Draw up a list of target companies list for your job search.
- Research your target organisations and identify the HR Manager. Look for network connections who can make introductions or give you insider insights into what is going on for that company. You can try to connect with hiring managers directly but they frequently don’t respond. Find out what their main challenges or pain points for that organisation are in your area of expertise.
- Create cover letters addressing the 3 top pain points of your target organisations and send by email and snail mail. Read: Down but not out the Power of the Past You will not hear from 95% probably, but you only need one offer.
- Network, network network. On and off line. Listen to Webcast “ How to take care of your COW”
- Find a mentor or job search buddy to support you. If you are on the market for any length of time you could probably use professional support.
For further support Book a call with 3Plus now.
Found that interesting?
Learn more about our services
Make your dreams a reality with a professional evaluation of your career to date.
The evidence is in. More women in your company can deliver 35% greater financial returns. (Catalyst)
Dates for the Diary
June 28th Coaching and Discussion - Share the load with Dorothy Dalton and Ian Dinwiddy
Download and listen free podcasts
How to Create an Effective USP What is a USP? Our Unique Selling Point or UVP (Unique Value Proposition) is our key core message about where...read more
How to Rethink the Modern Workplace for Gender Equality New research shows that diversity and inclusion is a top priority for leaders. So why...read more
Menopause in the workplace In this podcast with Nicki Williams award winning author, keynote speaker and Founder of Happy Hormones for Life,...read more
How to Cultivate Empathy in the Workplace Nancy Milton, international business communications expert, keynote speaker and author, share some vital...read more
Taking Care of your COW Tanvi Guatam, international Personal Branding expert says there is a misconception out there that a personal brand is...read more
The importance of Hard Talk Dawn Metcalfe, author of Managing the Matrix and Hard Talk, shares with us tips to achieve the lasting communication...read more
When Does Female Rivalry Turn into Sabotage There’s a lot of stuff written on social media about female rivalry and competition between women. Some...read more
Goal setting tips to boost your career The happiest people are those that really love their jobs. Those that don’t, dread Sunday nights and...read more
Sexism: How to stage a Bystander Intervention in the Workplace In this power coaching podcast, we're going to tackle one of the questions...read more
How to Get Noticed by Head Hunters & Recruiters In this power coaching podcast, we're going to tackle one of the questions asked multiple...read more
Daily gratitude is an important booster. Read why we all need to show more of it.read more
Are you suffering from COVID19 boreout due to mental under-load? The symptoms of boreout are very similar to burnout so it can be difficult to tell them apartread more
Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasia-Cortez shows women how to handle sexist abuse by excoriating the perpetrator in a systematic and dignified manner to the House floor.read more