Actions Women Can Take To Support Men’s Engagement
10 Tips for Men's Engagement Backed by Catalyst Research
Men have a pivotal role to play in creating workplaces where both women and men can thrive. Men's engagement is critical to diversity and inclusion efforts.
What can women, specifically, do to encourage and cultivate men’s engagement to address gender inequality? Catalyst research indicates that there are many ways to support men’s engagement on these issues.
10 tips to boost men's engagement
1. Be the change you want to see—make sure that you are role modeling the inclusive leadership you want to see from men. Don’t forget that working with men on these issues creates learning opportunities for you as well.
2. Challenge your assumptions about men’s intentions, ability, and willingness (or lack of) to take an active role in creating gender equity.
3. Recognize that men also experience bias and have aspects of their identity beyond ‘maleness.’ Just like women, men experience societal expectations around gender and what it means to be a man. This can be challenging for them too.
4. Intentionally invite men to join workplace initiatives focused on equity and inclusion.
5. Be prepared for men to make mistakes— it is part of the learning process.
Use our Self Confidence Coaching Programme to make sure you have the confidence to role model the changes you want to see
6. Develop partnerships with men on equity and inclusion efforts.
7. If you know men who value equity and inclusion, hold them accountable to living those values—challenge them to be more involved.
8. When you witness well-intentioned men reproducing inequalities or abusing male privilege, call them out in a non-accusatory manner.
9. Mentor male colleagues to develop their awareness of gender and racial dynamics. Bust stereotypes by providing them with examples of successful women and racially diverse role models.
10. Listen to men of color’s experiences—men of color can be strong allies in creating inclusion, which cannot exist without engaging people of all racial and ethnic backgrounds.
Make sure that your company is doing everything it can to be inclusive by attending our Managing Unconscious Bias Workshop
This piece was originally published on Men Advocating Real Change (MARC), a community for men committed to achieving gender equality in the workplace.
Found that interesting?
Learn more about our services
Make your dreams a reality with a professional evaluation of your career to date.
The evidence is in. More women in your company can deliver 35% greater financial returns. (Catalyst)
Dates for the Diary
June 28th Coaching and Discussion - Share the load with Dorothy Dalton and Ian Dinwiddy
Download and listen free podcasts
How to Create an Effective USP What is a USP? Our Unique Selling Point or UVP (Unique Value Proposition) is our key core message about where...read more
How to Rethink the Modern Workplace for Gender Equality New research shows that diversity and inclusion is a top priority for leaders. So why...read more
Menopause in the workplace In this podcast with Nicki Williams award winning author, keynote speaker and Founder of Happy Hormones for Life,...read more
How to Cultivate Empathy in the Workplace Nancy Milton, international business communications expert, keynote speaker and author, share some vital...read more
Taking Care of your COW Tanvi Guatam, international Personal Branding expert says there is a misconception out there that a personal brand is...read more
The importance of Hard Talk Dawn Metcalfe, author of Managing the Matrix and Hard Talk, shares with us tips to achieve the lasting communication...read more
When Does Female Rivalry Turn into Sabotage There’s a lot of stuff written on social media about female rivalry and competition between women. Some...read more
Goal setting tips to boost your career The happiest people are those that really love their jobs. Those that don’t, dread Sunday nights and...read more
Sexism: How to stage a Bystander Intervention in the Workplace In this power coaching podcast, we're going to tackle one of the questions...read more
How to Get Noticed by Head Hunters & Recruiters In this power coaching podcast, we're going to tackle one of the questions asked multiple...read more
We can take advantage of this turbulent time and rethink the talent sourcing process to attract and hire more women.read more
Daily gratitude is an important booster. Read why we all need to show more of it.read more
Are you suffering from COVID19 boreout due to mental under-load? The symptoms of boreout are very similar to burnout so it can be difficult to tell them apartread more