Career Audit – the best time is always NOW
All professional journeys need an overview career audit
We just need to make time for the career audit process - and there is no time like NOW!
Summer is a great time of the year for enjoying the sun (hopefully), relaxing in the garden or park with friends and family, long walks in the countryside and holidays in the mountains or on the beach. Why not take advantage of a more relaxed pace, the longer days and some downtime to gain a new perspective on you and your career? If you’re lucky, things might even have slowed down in work. But it's also a good time to step back, chill and do and evaluation of your professional path and carry out a career audit. This is shorthand for taking a long hard look at your career and what you want from it.
Lewis Carroll said
“If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
Research shows that only about 5% of women create career goals and a career strategy. This can have negative impact on their career progression. It means they are reactive not proactive. Career glitches can morph into full-blown crises. It puts women at a clear disadvantage to men.
When you carry out a professional evaluation what you are looking for is clarity and perspective. One way to achieve that is by carrying out a career audit on your career as it is today but also a review of the path you took to get there and where you would like to be in the future.
It's important to make time for inner reflection
How to do a career audit
- Think of your long-term goals, values and vision.
- Do a reality check on the state of your current career. What are the positives and negatives and what do you need to work on?
- Now list all your options – don’t worry if it’s a long list.
- Break this list down into achievable steps and hey-ho you have a plan.
Some typical questions
What key professional challenges would you like for your next transition?
What are your professional goals for the next transition?
Describe the corporate culture and values you are seeking.
What has bored or frustrated you?
What did you find most fulfilling?
Did anything drive you crazy in your last job?
What kind of boss or environment are you looking for? Did anything hold you back?
What do you need to work on?
Some 3Plus tools to support a career audit
Here are some 3Plus tools to help you get started on your career audit:
- Career Reflections Worksheets (Free): Aristotle said “Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” Use these career reflection worksheets to create a career strategy and plan. Women spend so much of their time thinking about others that they neglect themselves. Now is the time to anchor your core values, vision and goals.
What are you waiting for? More details HERE
- Power Coaching Career Goals Podcast (Free): Get the help you need to start goal setting and career planning. Make sure you are proactive not reactive and be prepared for any career challenge.
More details HERE
Career Coaching Programmes:
If you are stuck, get professional help. It will make a difference.
- Career Audit and Competence Testing: Carried out by Skype or in person, this career audit is a 2 hour personal coaching session. It involves an analysis of your career and an assessment of your career to date, with an in-depth review of all your achievements and successes. You will receive a comprehensive written report, as well as reports from the psychometric testing. The Career Audit identifies your key strengths, as well as your career development needs and opportunities for growth. You will receive expert feedback from an experienced career coach to help you set goals, for both the upcoming year and the medium term. Also included is psychometric testing for personality and skills plus a full debriefing from a top international company. No matter what stage you are at in your professional life, this career audit will be an invaluable exercise in creating a personal and effective career strategy.
More details HERE
- Career Booster Coaching: Designed to get you and your career out of the doldrums and into orbit so you can go from strength to strength to reach your potential. Don’t wait to get unstuck!
Check out the other resources in our Career Shop
Found that interesting?
Learn more about our services
Make your dreams a reality with a professional evaluation of your career to date.
The evidence is in. More women in your company can deliver 35% greater financial returns. (Catalyst)
Download and listen free podcasts
How to Create an Effective USP What is a USP? Our Unique Selling Point or UVP (Unique Value Proposition) is our key core message about where...read more
How to Rethink the Modern Workplace for Gender Equality New research shows that diversity and inclusion is a top priority for leaders. So why...read more
Menopause in the workplace In this podcast with Nicki Williams award winning author, keynote speaker and Founder of Happy Hormones for Life,...read more
How to Cultivate Empathy in the Workplace Nancy Milton, international business communications expert, keynote speaker and author, share some vital...read more
Taking Care of your COW Tanvi Guatam, international Personal Branding expert says there is a misconception out there that a personal brand is...read more
The importance of Hard Talk Dawn Metcalfe, author of Managing the Matrix and Hard Talk, shares with us tips to achieve the lasting communication...read more
When Does Female Rivalry Turn into Sabotage There’s a lot of stuff written on social media about female rivalry and competition between women. Some...read more
Goal setting tips to boost your career The happiest people are those that really love their jobs. Those that don’t, dread Sunday nights and...read more
How to Get Noticed by Head Hunters & Recruiters In this power coaching podcast, we're going to tackle one of the questions asked multiple...read more
The key to visionary leadership lies in self-confidence, a good grasp on the big picture, and communicating your vision effectively to others.read more
You will almost certainly be asked at some point in the recruitment process “So, what are your salary expectations?” Have you prepared a reply?read more
Different male allies need different levels of support so let’s move away from one size fits all coaching and training that is offered to organisations.read more