5 Tips for Gen Y Women – the importance of goals
Have goals – will travel! Far.
Ten years ago, I crammed my most prized possessions and favorite clothes into two extra large suitcases, and boarded a plane bound from London Heathrow to Los Angeles International. For me, this was the crescendo and realization of a personal goal set in stone for as long as I could remember. As a child I’d spent a lot of time in California, I had caught the proverbial ‘bug’ and had vowed to myself “one day I will live here”. I didn’t know how. I didn’t know when. I just knew I would. Fast forward however many years; I’m standing in the quad, looking up at Tommy Trojan, a proud freshman at the University of Southern California. I smile to myself and think, “I did it!”
This anecdote is a poignant one for me, because it highlights not only the way I was raised- but also how I continue to live my life today. I was brought up in a family where I was always told to shoot for the stars; that dreaming is believing and that with focused thought, conviction, passion and belief in myself, that I will be successful. This school of thought made my dreams of living in California a reality, and it’s also without a doubt, been the driving force behind my professional achievements.
Over the last 5 years, I have been blessed to work with some of the most brilliant, innovative and forward thinking individuals in the tech industry, and am proud to be a part of the team behind one of social media’s most iconic brands. On this journey, I continued to successfully apply these same principles, and found that not only did they help me achieve my goals- but they also led me to people and events that expanded on these- and this is what I’d like to share.
For some time now I’ve been creating a list of “tips” that I’d give to another young woman embarking on her career after college, if you will. When asked to write a short piece for this blog, I thought this would be the perfect contribution. So here are a few of my favorites, enjoy!
Here is why it’s important to have goals
- Start Now. Begin planning your future while still enrolled in University! What are your interests? What are you passionate about? Whatever the answer, that’s the industry you should work in. Trust me, it won’t feel like work if you’re doing something you love!
- Ask Questions. Don’t be afraid to ask questions! No one expects you to know it all. Asking for help isn’t a sign of weakness, it’s an opportunity to grow. Ask questions, read books and do your research- it will help you develop as a professional.
- Focus. Establish your goals, and be very clear about what it is you want to accomplish. Whether it’s a project, deadline, or promotion- I’ve found that my goals are a lot easier to attain when I am crystal clear about what they are.
- Find Mentors. Seek out the people you look up to and establish relationships with them. Identify someone who you can learn from and ask them out to lunch! You’d be surprised how willing people are to share tips and give advice, and these relationships are priceless.
- Believe in you. I really can’t stress this enough. Whether it’s believing in the presentation that you have to give tomorrow or believing you’re qualified for the job that you’re interviewing for. Believing in yourself and having confidence in what you’re capable of is so pivotal and truly sets the foundation of your personal success!
Found that interesting?
Learn more about our services
Make your dreams a reality with a professional evaluation of your career to date.
The evidence is in. More women in your company can deliver 35% greater financial returns. (Catalyst)
Download and listen free podcasts
How to Cultivate Empathy in the Workplace Nancy Milton, international business communications expert, keynote speaker and author, share some vital...read more
Taking Care of your COW Tanvi Guatam, international Personal Branding expert says there is a misconception out there that a personal brand is...read more
The importance of Hard Talk Dawn Metcalfe, author of Managing the Matrix and Hard Talk, shares with us tips to achieve the lasting communication...read more
When Does Female Rivalry Turn into Sabotage There’s a lot of stuff written on social media about female rivalry and competition between women. Some...read more
Goal setting tips to boost your career The happiest people are those that really love their jobs. Those that don’t, dread Sunday nights and...read more
How to Get Noticed by Head Hunters & Recruiters In this power coaching podcast, we're going to tackle one of the questions asked multiple...read more
The best way to ask for a promotion If you want to ask for a promotion, make sure you know when is the right time to ask, what is the best way to ask and why you deserve it. These tips will help you do just that. If you’re a career-driven individual, there’s no doubt...read more
A femel is a manel - different.. but the same.. What would your reaction be if confronted with a femel? If you saw a femel on every conference programme, would you accept it or question it? Would you want to know the reasons behind it? Let's try imagining a different...read more
Looking for professional edge, will cosmetic surgery boost your career? If a nip, tuck or injection is what you think would make you feel your best, that's a personal choice. There are some who firmly believe that it's a sure way to career advancement. But could...read more