What is the connection between a cassette tape and a pencil?
Younger generations will not make the connection between the cassette and the pencil. But if you recall using a pencil to rewind a much used and even loved tape, then you will appreciate the metaphor. But do you do this to yourself even now, play the same excuses over and over again in your head, until the tape gets stuck and then you pick up your metaphoric pencil, rewind and start over?
[Tweet “Or maybe with an update in technology it’s pushing repeat for your stream or downloads. “]
- I’m not…(insert adjective) enough
- I’m too (insert adjective)
- When (insert event) happens I will (insert action)
Do you feel stuck?
Here are 20 common self limiting beliefs that are stuck on repeat
- I’m not (thin, young, clever, qualified, rich, successful, likeable) enough.
- If I just do this I won’t… (be rejected, feel unloved, be friendless, overlooked)
- When that happens I will be…. (loved, thinner, happy, successful, promoted)
- If he/she changes I will be ……
- I have to stay in the relationship because I can’t make it on my own.
- I can’t be happy until the relationship/career is different.
- If they/he/she really liked/loved me, they would …..
- I need to do more (xxxx) to be worthy.
- I don’t know what I want.
- It’s selfish to put my needs before others’.
- People/I can’t change….
- I’m responsible for other people’s happiness, and they’re responsible for mine.
- I don’t deserve love, success, money, friends, a good career etc.
- If I pursue my own interests, my relationships will suffer.
- I don’t have time to care for myself.
- It’s too late for me to find love/a relationship /a new job
- If I speak my mind, I’ll be rejected.
- My career/home/ relationship should be better
- If I’m too happy I am setting myself up for disappointment
- If I don’t do this he/she won’t be happy
A belief is defined is an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof.
How do you know that you have a self-sabotaging belief? Generally if you pursue a course of action that leaves you dissatisfied, guilty, sad, disappointed, “less than” and unfulfilled, it is definitely worth thinking about. [
Tweet “So get out of your thought rut and push shuffle not repeat”]
[Tweet “Is it time for you to hit shuffle? “]