Top Ten Tips for Being Self-Motivated
How to get yourself to be self-motivated
Being self-motivated it the best way to drive yourself forward and achieve your goals. Here’s 10 ways to improve your motivation.
Self-motivation is, in its simplest form, the force that drives you to do things.
I was recently invited by Sage to participate in a Twitter Q & A on the topic of self-motivation; this got me thinking about my own levels of motivation. My motivation is usually high when I am doing something that I consider fun, or I am close to the deadline, although this may be more panic than self-motivation! There are times when I’m easily distracted and not as productive as I’d like to be. What about you?
In a world where we are increasingly left to manage our own: workload, time, career and learning, being self-motivated becomes a muscle we really must develop.
There are many benefits to being self-motivated:
· You’re not reliant on others for your success as you motivate yourself to achieve.
· Others are more likely to trust you, as you will be self-motivated enough to get the job done.
· You’ll have increased productivity and a sense of satisfaction – knowing that you have done what you could.
Here are my 10 top tips:
1. Find ways to communicate and connect with other like-minded people, who can share their approaches to self-motivation with you. Surround yourself with self-motivated people and some of their strategies are likely to rub off on you.
2. Energy is key for self-motivation, to keep your energy levels up: exercise, sleep well, eat well and restrict your caffeine intake.
3. Start by visualising your day in great detail, planning what you will achieve and how you will do it, this will mean that you are less likely to be side-tracked.
4. Connect with the feeling that you’ll have when you’ve completed the task, or achieved the success that you are looking for, striving for that feeling will be keep you focused.
5. Break your task or goal down into bite size chunks that you can celebrate achieving and reward yourself for e.g. if you have a list of 100 people to call, decide to call 10 a day.
6. Consider how what you are doing will benefit others e.g winning a new contract could produce job security for your staff.
7. Know your why. Your why and what connects you with what you do, its how you put your values into action.
8. Minimise distractions and temptations, like the phone or internet, there are lots of apps out there now which can prevent you from surfing the net or checking social media at the times you specify.
9. Know what works for you and do it e.g. being alone, being surrounded by others, lists, add tasks to your calendar etc.
10. Create deadlines that you share with others, who can then hold to you account.
Lastly, here are some resources that I recommend to help you on your way to becoming more self-motivated.
Originally posted on LinkedIn
Download our Career Reflection Worksheets and start your self plan today
Found that interesting?
Learn more about our services
Make your dreams a reality with a professional evaluation of your career to date.
The evidence is in. More women in your company can deliver 35% greater financial returns. (Catalyst)
Dates for the Diary
12th January 2021 “Habits to help you work more effectively remotely” Crop Life Europe - Corporate event
28th January 2021 “Licence to hire - Managing Bias in Recruitment” ENGIE - Corporate event
29th January 2021 “Licence to hire - Managing Bias in Recruitment” ENGIE - Corporate event
5th February 2021 “ How to Build your Personal Board“ ENGIE Fifty-Fifty Programme - Corporate event
8th March 2021 IWD "How to create a career and networking strategy for career success” Highquest Partners - Corporate event
We have Remote Learning Programs available
Check out our exciting portfolio of offerings to support your business in upskilling and competence building for your teams, to address the unprecedented challenges that women face in this new totally a digital world.
Download and listen free podcasts
Tips for developing a winning mindset Mindset is particularly important when job hunting or seeking a promotion. It determines whether you show up self-confidently or wracked with self-doubt. The dictionary defines mindset as “a person’s usual attitude or...
Flexible working isn’t just for caring reasons. There are lots of reasons why people want flexible working patterns and all are just an important to men.
More than ever before you are leading virtually with people dispersed throughout the globe. Here are 9 communication tips to help you engage virtually.