7 reasons why women need sponsors
Sponsorship is vital in female career progression
It is clear that women need sponsors to boost their careers - find out why.
Mentors and sponsors serve different purposes, but their end goal is the same: To support an individual to achieve their professional and personal goals.
A Mentor is defined as: a partnership between two people (mentor and mentee) normally working in a similar field or sharing similar experiences
A Sponsor is defined as: a senior leader or other person who uses strong influence to help the protégé obtain high-visibility assignments, promotions, or jobs. The protégé will be held accountable for delivery high level results.
There are many reasons why women need sponsors. Research suggests that when women have sponsors they are more likely to achieve career success than men. When men are mentored, their mentor is likely to be more senior and also play a strong role as a sponsor. Men are also mentored differently to women. With women, the mentoring focus tends to be on confidence building and skill set development. However men are groomed in navigating the subtext of corporate culture. This is organisational politics while women are not taught this, or at least not to the same extent.
Use our Mentoring Services to get some advice from a senior, neutral woman you can confide in. Download our eBook Make the Most of Mentoring
There is much discussion on the value of mentoring. It is less fashionable today than it was five years ago and in some circles it is being dismissed with the click bait sound bite that "women are over mentored." Many women have neither mentors nor sponsors. The reality is that both mentoring and sponsorship programmes play key roles in the career progression of any employee. Unlike a mentor, a sponsor is someone who not only advises a protégée on her career, but actively helps advance it. They have influence and power in their organization and can use their social capital and credibility to advocate for, promote, protect, prepare and motivate them. If a protégée fails to deliver to expectation, it reflects on the sponsor. He or she is staking their personal reputation, which involves an element of risk with any endorsement.
7 reasons why women need sponsors
- Unlike mentoring in many cases, sponsorship makes a tangible impact on career progression. 70% of men and 68% of women who have had a sponsor report satisfaction with their career advancement.
- Women with sponsors are 27% more likely than their female peers without a sponsor to ask for a salary increase.
- A Sponsorship Programme is vital to advancing the careers of high potential talent. This gives them opportunities to reach their potential through competence development, increased visibility and stretch assignments. Women are 22% more likely to ask for the “stretch assignments” that enhance their reputations as leaders. The reality is that sponsors better position women to advance in the workplace.
- Sponsors offer tangible benefits directly and indirectly to organisations. This grows more effective and diverse leaders and teams capable of reaching agreed objectives.
- They enrich the experience of the sponsors, facilitating soft skill enhancement and leadership skill development (attentive listening, delivering constructive feedback, goal setting and motivation)
- Sponsorship Programmes are key differentiators in grooming women as high visibility role models within organisations. They can then inspire and motivate junior employees.
- Sponsorship programmes form part of an Employer Branding used in attracting and hiring top female talent.
Contact us now to get support for the women in your workplace with one of our Mentoring Programmes.
Found that interesting?
Learn more about our services
Make your dreams a reality with a professional evaluation of your career to date.
The evidence is in. More women in your company can deliver 35% greater financial returns. (Catalyst)
Dates for the Diary
25th February 2019 - SHRM Tech Dubai SHRM 14.35 Main Stage - Beating bias with Tech-Diversity and Inclusion Technologies Ritz Carlton DIFC Dubai https://www.shrmtech.com/
26th February 2019 - Latham Watkins hosted breakfast 0800 Capital Club “The Power of Inclusive Leadership“ by invitation
8th March 2019 - International Women’s Day Deloitte Athens 0900 Female Leaders: navigating the subtle challenges to career success – in-house
Download and listen free podcasts
How to Create an Effective USP What is a USP? Our Unique Selling Point or UVP (Unique Value Proposition) is our key core message about where...read more
How to Rethink the Modern Workplace for Gender Equality New research shows that diversity and inclusion is a top priority for leaders. So why...read more
Menopause in the workplace In this podcast with Nicki Williams award winning author, keynote speaker and Founder of Happy Hormones for Life,...read more
How to Cultivate Empathy in the Workplace Nancy Milton, international business communications expert, keynote speaker and author, share some vital...read more
Taking Care of your COW Tanvi Guatam, international Personal Branding expert says there is a misconception out there that a personal brand is...read more
The importance of Hard Talk Dawn Metcalfe, author of Managing the Matrix and Hard Talk, shares with us tips to achieve the lasting communication...read more
When Does Female Rivalry Turn into Sabotage There’s a lot of stuff written on social media about female rivalry and competition between women. Some...read more
Goal setting tips to boost your career The happiest people are those that really love their jobs. Those that don’t, dread Sunday nights and...read more
Sexism: How to stage a Bystander Intervention in the Workplace In this power coaching podcast, we're going to tackle one of the questions...read more
How to Get Noticed by Head Hunters & Recruiters In this power coaching podcast, we're going to tackle one of the questions asked multiple...read more
Do you want a more inclusive hiring process but don’t know how? Read on how to create a more inclusive hiring process in your organisation.read more
Self-Leadership is a vital and invaluable skill Here are 3 steps to develop your own self-leadership and let it drive you to the top.read more
Don’t let the success of a job offer go to your head that you overlook some basics, here are 5 pointers for due diligence following your offer.read more