Frozen Career: People Skills Choices That Stop You
Are you in a frozen career moment? Wondering what to do?
People skills are often overlooked, but your impact on people matters. It could be the difference between a frozen career and moving forwards.
by Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™
As you think it through, ask yourselves:
What do decision makers and teammates think of me?
Amid so much advice today to be yourself, it's easy to think you don't need to consider anyone else. Not true! The truth is:
How you come across to others impacts your career and business success.
Would people use the words cold or no heart to describe you?
Frozen Career: People Skills Choices Checklist
Do you freeze others by ...
- Giving little digs and calling it humour?
- Going silent and giving no response when people raise issues that matter to them?
- Being idle when you witness abuse of others?
- Standing back and criticizing either actively or passively?
- Patronizing people and calling it true concern for them ?
- Having sarcastic plaques, mugs, etc... in your office?
- Taking advantage of your power when around younger, less powerful folks?
- Laughing at jokes that demean certain groups?
- Taking credit for others work?
- Focus constantly on yourself; your needs, hopes, and dreams?
Be the best leader you can be and uncover your full potential with the 3Plus Leadership and Executive Coaching services.
Are you subconsciously living the philosophy ...
- Nice people finish last? Not true. You can be successful while treating others well.
- Look out (only) for number one! False. You get nowhere when you come across as selfish.
- As long as it's authentic, it's OK to be rude and dismissive of others? Wrong. These choices will freeze your career from its true potential. People remember how you make them feel.
- Great team players never become leaders? Another myth. High performance teams are full of teammate leaders. Some choose to seek official leadership positions, others don't. It's a choice.
- Showing empathy makes you look weak? Untrue. How can you lead without empathy? What is teamwork without empathy? Empathy connects you in the most authentic way with others. No matter what your position or aspiration, the warmth of empathy with others generates momentum.
Picture some people you know that come across as cold. If they are your teammates, would you want them as your leaders? If they are your leaders, are their people skills choices on the lists above? Which of their choices do you want them to change? Now ask yourself how do others see you?
The simple yet powerful truth is ...
People often interpret your behavior as a reflection of what you think of them.
If your behavior tells them: "You don't matter" or "You matter less that I do" they will freeze you out. You end up with a frozen career because of your people skills choices.
As the old saying goes, don't less this happen to you!
- Engage with others. Don't stand on the sidelines.
- Share your talents and welcome others'.
- Give sincere compliments about people's contributions.
- Rid your desk and office of negative sarcastic signs, plaques, mugs etc...
- Show empathy. It doesn't mean you agree. It says "you matter."
- Take ownership of your mistakes. Apologize unconditionally when you hurt others.
- Learn, change, grow and above all show respect for everyone.
How are you perceived at work? Improve your self-awareness with our Leadership Assessment.
©2017 Kate Nasser, CAS, Inc. All rights reserved.
Found that interesting?
Learn more about our services
Make your dreams a reality with a professional evaluation of your career to date.
The evidence is in. More women in your company can deliver 35% greater financial returns. (Catalyst)
Download and listen free podcasts
Menopause in the workplace In this podcast with Nicki Williams award winning author, keynote speaker and Founder of Happy Hormones for Life,...read more
How to Cultivate Empathy in the Workplace Nancy Milton, international business communications expert, keynote speaker and author, share some vital...read more
Taking Care of your COW Tanvi Guatam, international Personal Branding expert says there is a misconception out there that a personal brand is...read more
The importance of Hard Talk Dawn Metcalfe, author of Managing the Matrix and Hard Talk, shares with us tips to achieve the lasting communication...read more
When Does Female Rivalry Turn into Sabotage There’s a lot of stuff written on social media about female rivalry and competition between women. Some...read more
Goal setting tips to boost your career The happiest people are those that really love their jobs. Those that don’t, dread Sunday nights and...read more
How to Get Noticed by Head Hunters & Recruiters In this power coaching podcast, we're going to tackle one of the questions asked multiple...read more
LinkedIn lists almost 400 executive resume writers. Who’s top-rated? Who’s the best? Find and evaluate the best executive resume writer for you.read more
Relationship fluency is an aspect of life that most of us think is important at home. But as our workplaces are built on relationships, maybe we should consider relationship fluency in all parts of life. Esther Perel explains why.read more
World Menopause Day is about reducing the stigma around the menopause. It affects 50% of the world and as such it should be something that is dealt with clearly and openly in the workplace. So why is it still a taboo?read more