What would you tell your 30 year old self?
What would you tell your 30 year old self?
I have noticed on social media women of a certain age being asked “what would you tell your 30 year old self?” I also asked a group of contacts what they would say. Note I specifically didn’t say advice. I was surprised at the wisdom I observed, the prosaicness of the responses, and the humour.
So here are the suggestions in no particular order of what women would say to their 30 year old self.
5 things on sex and skin
This is what you may look forward to! You…
- Won’t get harassed in the street or on public transport. But you do still get stupid messages on LinkedIn. No matter how old you are! Lust and LinkedIn are blind.
- Will prefer to have fewer mirrors and definitely won’t want to have sex in front of one.
- Don’t have to worry about getting pregnant.
- Should wear sunscreen and hats all the time from here on in. Having a tan is not cool. You can go from looking great to needing a facelift overnight.
- Will need to look into perimenopause early. Get the hormone treatment as soon as you can. Hormones are great!
Download our Podcast: Menopause in the workplace
5 things on life in general
These things are on your horizon. You..
- Won’t give a shit anymore. You are who you are.
- Will develop your own style. And you will rejoice in it.
- May have had someone betray you, but you know you will heal.
- Can express your individuality and you won’t care if someone makes fun of you.
- Will have better relationships. These will be based on authenticity and vulnerability.
Use our Daily LinkedIn routine for today’s super busy women and enjoy the difference it makes.
5 things on health and life
This is what you may want to factor in. You..
- May want to watch your weight because losing it is harder as you get older. It’s a bummer. No pressure. Just think about it.
- Can exercise regularly if you want and especially if you don’t want to. Being mobile and flexible is important. Doesn’t seem like it at 30 – but wait. Sometimes you need to do your own pedicure.
- You will have adventures. The world is your oyster and like an oyster it will open up gradually post COVID. Carpe Diem!
- Must follow your passion. If you don’t have any, take a nap or play golf. At least you are resting and getting some exercise.
- Are happy with your own skin (metaphorically.) You will be where you want to be and see a positive outlook on the horizon.
5 things on inspirations
Here are some things that will bring you joy. You..
- Will not wish you were younger – that is a fallacy. We all are happy where we are.
- Should plan to tap into the inspiration of age – there are so many wonderful things to experience.
- Will find others aspiring to be you! It may seem unlikely but you are a role model to maybe many, but at least to your inner circle
- Can travel as much as you like without needing to get sitters except for pets which can actually be more restricting.
- May be frustrated with your parents. You will appreciate what they have done for you.
What message would tell your 30 year old self? Let us know.
Learn to take care of your career with our Career Coaching for Women.
Found that interesting?
Learn more about our services
Make your dreams a reality with a professional evaluation of your career to date.
The evidence is in. More women in your company can deliver 35% greater financial returns. (Catalyst)
If you would like to join the live recording of these sessions please contact [email protected] for the Zoom Link
Dates for the Diary
We have Remote Learning Programs available
Check out our exciting portfolio of offerings to support your business in upskilling and competence building for your teams, to address the unprecedented challenges that women face in this new totally a digital world.
Download and listen free podcasts
Women and anger is another double bind. When men get angry, they are perceived to be strong leaders When women lose their tempers, they’re condemned as being aggressive or emotional and not able to hold it together.
Women invest heavily in relationships. But find out about these 5 female friendship deal-breakers which makes them say – enough already.
Perfectionism is an active barrier to inclusive leadership that threatens and sabotages your workplace culture which prevents your organization from achieving the very success it is supposed to build.