Mitigate bias in the recruitment process
Bias in the recruitment process
“If you have a brain you have a bias”
Wherever you find human interaction you find bias and nowhere is this more obvious than in the hiring process. Because we are unable to manage our biases as we should, this means we make decisions based on perception rather than fact. This leads to mini-me and cloning recruitment systems. When we manage our biases we are able to create inclusive recruitment processes to support business success more effectively.
The biggest barrier to diversity and inclusion is unconscious bias.
This programme takes participants through the stages of the recruitment process and highlights the biases that occur at each stage:
- Needs assessment
- Profile creation
- Candidate assessment and Testing
- Salary and contract negotiation
How it works
This is a multi-media, interactive online workshop with knowledge transfer and embedded learning at every point of interaction. This could include polls, breakout rooms, quizzes, and engagement via the chat.
Following a hands-heart-minds approach. It is designed to convey the serious nature of bias and how it impacts both businesses and organisations, but in a way that is thought provoking and engaging.
This is followed by interactive group exercises to test that this knowledge has been assimilated
This training presupposes a basic understanding of unconscious bias and the impact they have on the workplace via assigned pre-work. If the organizers feel that this is unrealistic – it will need to be covered in the session.
Who should attend?
Target Audience: HR generalists, Talent Acquisition specialists, Talent Development, Sourcers, Hiring Managers, Recruiters, Learning and Development Specialists
What you will learn
Participants will either discover or develop their knowledge of the following to mitigate bias in the recruitment process:
- A deeper awareness around unconscious bias to explore the degree to which it is embedded in our everyday cultures and lives
- Why businesses need to accelerate their efforts in this area, and why what we are doing currently is bad for business
- An understanding of how unconscious bias contributes to stereotypes, hierarchies (gender, race, age, etc) plus active discrimination.
- Knowledge of where we find bias in our organisations and specifically the recruitment process.
- Knowledge of where bias vulnerability occurs at each stage of the 8 steps in a typical recruitment process
- Actions they can take to manage and mitigate against bias at each stage of this process
This programme is best delivered as a small group session maximum 16-20 people.
It can also be delivered as an in-person event subject to COVID regulations.
Time – One day 9:00 -12:30 and 14:00 -15:00. with numerous breaks throughout the session.
Dorothy Dalton CEO 3Plus International www.3plusinternational.com
Dorothy is a certified Coach and Trainer, HR, Diversity and Inclusion Professional. She specialises in supporting organisations achieve gender balance to support inclusive growth.
Dorothy works globally in talent management strategy, covering the whole spectrum of career challenges from “hire to retire” in the talent pipeline. An Economist and CIPD Associate, she has recruited, trained and coached thousands of men and women in her career, working with leading international companies and organizations. She is a certified coach (CBC) and trainer (ISITB.) and trained in eLearning techniques.
Dorothy is based in Brussels and works internationally.